Museo Civico Polironiano - Museum - History
In the early '70s a group of young people of San Benedetto Po and other municipalities begins to pick up items no longer used, such as material artifacts of rural life, in order to keep them in a museum.
In 1975, with participation in the exhibition organized in London, "Andrea Palladio 1508 to 1580 - The portico and the Farmyard" the group earned the trust of public institutions and is formally established the Museo Civico Polironiano with headquarters in the former Benedictine monastery.
In the following years, while continuing renovations in other areas of the monastery, the museum participates in fairs and conferences, becoming known and increasing, mainly thanks to private donations, its heritage.
On October 2, 1977 there was the first big exhibition: "Art and culture work in the valley." For the museum is the start of a long development and collaboration with other schools and local cultural institutions.
The presence of the Benedictine monastery is important from the beginning, as a stimulus to make the museum a place where the comparison between the traditional tools used by farmers, the artistic production of the Middle Ages and the different cultural levels documented throughout the area, can be developed.
In the 80's is set up the first nucleus of the museum building designed like a large display of an interdisciplinary nature, divided into several sections which document the material culture, agricultural and craft, between the XIX and XX century.
In the same period are also opened new sections of the museum: one devoted to historical - archaeological objects, another one dedicated to the Italian agricultural carts (thanks to the temporary storage of the important collection of dr. Contini Carlo) and a third one dedicated to Puppetry materials.
Since 2006, for three years, the museum was closed for restoration work. Then in December 2008, it was started the museological study leading to total redevelopment of the complex, designed on the basis of a new conception of the tour, which includes, besides the exhibition of folkloric material goods, also representation of the goods so-called "intangible" (oral traditions, practical knowledge, popular rituals)
On October 2, 2009 was inaugurated the new exposition of the Civic Museum Polironiano.